Performed works

Work Performed for Tanker Ludwig Svoboda at Ventspils Sea Port

In March 1985, at Ventspils Sea Port berth, tanker Ludwig Svoboda exploded. 4 members of the crew died. The ship was completely destroyed, except its back section. Front section was detached. The hull central section terribly deformed was at the bottom of water area; back section partially connected to the hull remained afloat.


Riga group of ASPTR had to perform the following tasks:

  • Search and raising of died members of the crew;
  • Raising of ship parts out of water that were destroyed due to explosion to resume operation of Venta navigation way and adjacent berths;
  • Disjointing of the ship-hall;
  • Detachment of the ship back section from the hull to reconstruct and use the same later on.


Work was performed within eight months. More than 3000 tons of metal were lifted out of water, 2600 m hull parts were disjointed under water, using electric oxygen and plasma cutting equipment. Cut-off hull parts weighing to 500 tons each were raised by crane barges Titan, Titan 2, Stanislav Judin and Sudopodjom.

Managers of the project were Director of ASPTR Riga group Georgijs Nikolajevs, diving specialist Aleksandrs Dadukins, divers Nikolajs Lugovenko, Viktors Jakovlevs, Georgijs Zenkovs, Igors Nevskis, Nikolajs Domanickis, Uldis Kazainis, etc.

P.S. The ship back section tugged to Yugoslavia for the purpose of repair sank along the Danish coast during the storm.

Ship Rauna Rescue Operations


In December 1991, ship Rauna with 1300 tons of coal aboard got aground in the Gulf of Riga. 13 bottom sections out of 14 watertight sections were damaged and flooded. Equipment area was not damaged. Draft decrease reached 1,10 m and the ship sank to the level of the cargo deck. Having received the application for rescue operations, the group of professionals arrived at the place of accident - divers Aleksandrs Koreniks, Pjotrs Podolakins, Aleksandrs Dadukins, Arturs Korolovs, mechanical engineer Andris Bernans, machinists Viktors Karasevs and Janis Kugenieks. The decision was taken: to reload coal onto another ship and dry vacant sections. It was impossible to reload all coal because work was stopped due to the storm. Some coal was washed overboard. After weather had improved, specialists resumed work. Sections were dried by compressed air and after four days of rescue operations, the ship headed for Riga Sea Port where it was placed in dry dock for repair.


Search-and-Rescue Services for ship Boris Pustovoitov


In August 1984, ship Boris Pustovoitov got aground in strait not far from Estonian shore. The ship was on its way from Riga with ferro-concrete structures aboard. Ship accident resulted in its bottom defects. 6 watertight sections out of 14 were damaged. Holes were detected in sections 3,4,5,6,8,10. Since the ship got aground, divers managed to access holes in sections 3,4,5,6 only that were plastered and small holes were processed by special elements. Sections 8 and 10 were dried by compressed air. Specialists used portable patrol pump to pump water out of other sections.

At the end of August, the ship was ready to head for the Port of Kingisep in Estonia under its own power to unload ferro-concrete structures.

Valerijs Semenenko was the head of the group for search and rescue operations, divers Igors Tarans, Andris Vanadzins, Aleksandrs Dadukins, Aleksejs Gornostajevs, Aleksejs Sasuto performed diving operations.




Sunken Floating Workshop Lifted out of Water


A 900 ton floating workshop was at the sea bottom at the Port of Liepaja in the area between the ship repair yard and the sugar factory for 20 years. It sank with lurch to the right and stern lowered into depth of 9 m. Upper part of the structure was seen out of water only.

In autumn 2002, on the basis of company BMGS order, preliminary work to raise the floating workshop out of water began. Company ASPTR specialists decided to lift the workshop, using a combined approach. Stern was connected to the previously submerged pontoon with raising capacity 400 tons. 6 special pontoons with lifting capacity 25 tons each were installed in the central part. It was decided to dry forebody and central sections by pumps installed along waterproof partitions on both sides. During the process of water pumping, specialists faced a problem due to submerged deck section, which they had to strengthen and make waterproof, putting in their best licks. 30 hours were needed to recover the workshop floatability.

Specialists representing company Opron Shipping helped to pump out water. Aleksandrs Dadukin was responsible for lifting operations.


Ship Merkur Lifted out of Water


In 1997, when ship Merkur was towed from Tallinn to Klaipeda, water started flowing into machine space leading to the ship lurched considerably. Since at that moment the ship was not far from Ventspils Port, captain of the tugboat applied for permission to enter the port to pump out water. Before the team of specialists arrived, the ship had considerably lurched to the left and getting over berth, it sank at 9 m depth and listed 500. After unsuccessful attempt of company V to lift the ship, real threat occurred that Merkur would get to the port shipway with depth reaching 12,5 m. That was the reason why Latvian Maritime Administration entered into the agreement with company ASPTR to lift ship Merkur. The group of professionals equipped with relevant diving, search-and-rescue equipment and vehicles was formed. Specialists decided to use block-and-cable system to prevent the situation. After the ship hull became waterproof and water inflow was prevented, pumps of total capacity 900 m3/h were installed in the ship sections. With the ship being gradually lifted out of water, the block system pressed it to the berth wall. It took 26 hours to recover the ship floatability, after which it was delivered to the customer and towed to the Port of Klaipeda.

The project for lifting the ship was developed by engineer Jevgenijs Morozovs.


Search-and-Rescue Operations for Ship Kalngale


On August 17, 1992, fire started on board Kalngale ship moored at the berth at the Fishing Port of Riga. Fighting fire, the team of firemen failed to pump water out of the ship hull resulted in water reached its critical level and the ship started lurching to the right. Fish processing workshop turned to be under water and since being open, it started to be immediately filled with water. With lurch reached 160, the ship got over the berth, being supported by mooring ropes only.

Having reached relevant agreement with the ship owners, Company ASPTR specialists started rescue operations. Diving equipment and pumping facilities were immediately delivered to the port. All hatches and openings leading to the processing workshop were made waterproof. Such operations were performed by diver Valdis Vingra. At the same time, water was pumped out of the ship stern sections. The ship started rising to surface, clicking into place. All operations were finished on August 18, 1992.


Repair of Tanker Antonio Gramsci Bottom Damages


In winter 1987, the tanker belonging to Latvian Shipping Company with oil products on board left the Port of Ventspils. It got away from the course, getti  Raising of ship parts out of water that were destroyed due to explosion to resume operation of Venta navigation way and adjacent berttruehs;ng on the ground (heap of stones). The tanker got serious bottom damages, partially lost its cargo and had to return to t UnhideWhenUsed=h60e port. Having received the order for making holds waterproof to dry and clean the same thereafter, specialists of ASPTR Riga Group started working. Tasks became more complicated due to winter weather and the fact that the accident resulted in 10 cm thick oil product layer on the water surface. Divers, surveying the ship hull, detected its bottom hole, being 13,5 m long and 1,7 m wide as well as various configuration cracks of total length 160 m. Holes were covered by two 7x2 wooden elements, one of elements being with special section for folded hull bottom fragments. To submerge such elements, they were fastened to 2 ton balance weight each. Cracks were filled with wooden material and cotton waste. After becoming waterproof, holds were dried and evaporated one after another. Operations were performed within 10 days, after which the tanker headed for the dry dock under its own power to be repaired.

 The course of work was supervised by Fjodors Molodcevs; diving operations  performed by Pjotrs Podolakins, Jurijs Knazevs, Aleksandrs Dadukins and others.



Stuntmen Tricks for Film Depression

In 1992, when the film episode was shot with participation of stuntmen, GAZ-24 vehicle represented as Mercedes Benz was thrown from Lielupe bridge. According to the agreement with Riga Film Studio, the car should be immediately lifted out of water. In cooperation with the group of stuntmen, a small trick was thought out how to quickly lift the car from the river bottom. Before shooting the film, a ball filled with compressed air was placed into it along with dummy. The ball filling valve was not screwed completely. So, after the car had been thrown into water, air bubbles correctly showed where the car was. It was not too difficult to divers to slip beneath the water, fastening rope to lift the car and, using pontoon, to get it to the bank of the river. Diving operations were performed by Viktors Virbickas, Aleksandrs Koreniks un Andrejs Kuznecovs.



613-Series Submarine Lifted out of Water


In 1998, after the Soviet Army and the Navy left the military base in Bolderaja due to various reasons, three 613-series diesel submarines (classified by NATO as WHISKEY) turned to be sunken. One of them was for military purposes, the second one was used for training purposes and the third one was reconstructed to charge accumulators under water. The military submarine was at 9 m depth, two others – at 7 m depth with lurch from 15 to 30 degrees to the left. Problems were relating to hermetic sealing, since the hull was overfilled by various pipelines, balloons, etc., preventing divers from detecting the hull holes and sealing them. After water inflow through shafts and hatches had been stopped, drying operations were performed, using electric pump. Work was completed after four months and submarines were delivered for further utilization.

Lifting operations were performed by ASPTR and Opron Shipping specialists.


Explosion-Dangerous Items Removed from Liepaja Port Berth


In spring 1999, company ASPTR received an order to survey Liepaja Port 5th berth area 140x10 m and remove any explosion-dangerous items. After careful survey of the water area bottom, divers found various items: a car, a wagon, various metal structures, however such items as depth bombs, various caliber charges, warshot torpedo part, ship heat-protective charges, etc. were detected most often. Divers, acting with greatest care, lifted all such items out of water, delivering them to land guards for classification and further destruction. Two-week operations resulted in 1500 kg ammunition with 600 kg explosives lifted out of water. Moreover, divers also raised various metal structures of total weight 3,5 tons.



Mine Exploder No 530 Lifted out of Water


Mine exploder No 530 sank in Military Channel at Liepaja Port. In 2002, according to company BMGS order, company ASPTR specialists started lifting operations. With low water level, 20 cm of exploder forebody was above water surface only. After defects of the deck, the hull and partially preserved upper structures had been remedied, specialists were able to start water pumping and recovery of the ship floatability. To prevent ship lurching during water pumping, a 10 ton block and rope system installed ashore was fastened to the ship. After all defects had been repaired, cofferdam was installed on the ship forebody. Along with water pumping, specialists sealed inconsiderable cracks. As soon as forebody rose to the surface, pumps were moved to stern sections, with water gradually pumped out of all sections. Pumping operations lasted for 28 hours and having risen to the surface, the ship was towed to shore.

Aleksands Dadukins was responsible for all diving operations.



Barge Tosmare Lifted out of Water


resulted in decision to cut the hull into two parts, lifting each of them separately by floating crane. Special wire rope was used to cut the barge hull; the thickest parts of the structure were cut by gas-cutting device. Cut hull forebody and stern were lifted by floating crane to the berth with water pumped out of its internal premises.

The course of work was supervised by Georgijs Nikolajevs; divers Valdis Vingra, Andrejs Leibovs and other participated in operations.



Liquidation of Oil Spill Consequences Resulted from Ship Tern Accident


Collision between dry-cargo vessel Tern and the tanker transporting fuel oil resulted in more than 50 tons of fuel oil filled the stern sections. While being unloaded, fuel oil entered the ship forebody damaged area. The ship crew failed to obtain permission for leaving the Port of Ventspils for Klaipeda ship-repair yard due to probable oil pollution of the sea.

Company ASPTR entered into the agreement with the ship owner and the insurance company on prevention of oil spill. It was decided to repair defects, using timber strips, planks, to install soft canvas patch with absorbing layer and to cover all forebody damages by waterproof and gasoline-resistant coating.

All operations were performed timely and ship Tern headed for Klaipeda under its own power. No oil spill was detected while the ship was en route.

Work was performed by Company ASPTR in cooperation with Opron Shipping specialists.



STB 1026 Search-and-Rescue Operations


the more water was pumped out, the more lurch sideways was observed. With lurch reached 500 , two special pontoons with lifting capacity of 10 tons each were installed under the hull on the right to prevent the mine-sweep overturning. After pontoons had been emptied, specialists continued water pumping operations with the ship lurch being 360. Soon the ship rose to the surface with lurch reduced to 110. Upon completion of water pumping operations, the mine-sweep with 60 lurch was towed to the Port of Ventspils by ship BM-13.

Search-and-rescue operations were performed by divers: Mihails Rjabovs, Eduards Silajevs, Aleksandrs Dadukins, BM-13 captain Vladimirs Anufrijevs and others.



Degaussing Ship Lifted out of Water


The USSR JKF degaussed ship was at the sea bottom for more than 25 years. Such ship had special design. Built in 1957 as a fishing schooner, it was reconstructed, getting the status of a degaussing ship. Lifting operations related to numerous difficulties (described below) began in summer 2003.

 The ship was completely sunken with part of funnel seen out of water only;

 The ship was near the operating oil transfer berth; access to it was blocked by oil barges and tanker;

 Wooden hull of the ship was seriously damaged.

There were no floating cranes at Liepaja Port then, thus, it was decided to lift the ship, using pontoons. Specialists designed 10 pontoons with lifting capacity of 25 tons each that were installed - 5 units on each side. In addition, a previously submerged pontoon with lifting capacity 40 tons was fastened to the forebody. After pontoons had been emptied, the ship leveled off and rose to the surface. On the basis of relevant permission obtained from Liepaja Port management, the ship was towed to the dry dock with greatest care.

Operations were performed within 5 months by company ASPTR specialists in cooperation with diving ship Afalina team members.



Ship Senftenberg Holes Repair


In February 1985, ship Senftenberg navigating in ice at the Baltic Sea damaged its right board. After the ship had been made fast at the Port of Ventspils, the ship administration applied to ASPTR Riga Group for providing services such as recovery of water resistance and strengthening of the right board, provided that after completion of repair operations, the ship will under its own power reach the port in Germany without unloading coal. Having developed technology for repair operations and agreed upon the same with the Maritime Register, the company specialists started working. Hole was detected on both above-water and underwater structures. Due to its large size, it was necessary to install supporting beams. First, the board hole was marked by coordinate net with deflection depth appropriately measured. According to profiles, relevant supporting beams were produced. Above water, welders welded beams according to standard procedure; however, welding operations under water were performed by Pjotrs Podolakins and Nikolajs Domanickis.

After beams, supports and restraint devices had been installed, a 6 x 1,8 m and 12 mm thick metal plate was submerged. Lower plate was fastened to the board by arrow-headed clips; welding seam areas were cleared out and welding operations were performed by semi-automatic machine A 1660. With metal plate edge seen above water surface, remaining plates were welded according to standard procedure. Other metal plates were installed and welded in the same way. Above-water seams length reached 56 cm. It took 9 days to perform the work.

Upon completion of search-and rescue operations, the ship was ready to leave the port of Ventspils under its own power and to deliver the cargo to one of the ports in Germany.

been repaired, cofferdam was installed on the ship forebody. Along with water pumping, specialists sealed inconsiderable cracks. As soon as forebody rose to the surface, pumps were moved to stern sections, with water gradually pumped out of all sections. Pumping operations lasted for 28 hours and having risen to the surface, the ship was towed to shore.